'The law must take its course': King Charles issues statement following Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest
King Charles has issued a statement following the arrest of his brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct in a public office on Thursday (19.02.26) morning.
King Charles says the "law must take its course" following Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrest.
The 77-year-old monarch has issued a statement after his brother was arrested at his Sandringham home on Thursday (19.02.26) morning on suspicion of misconduct in a public office.
In a statement released from Buckingham Palace, the King said: "I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
"Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
"As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all."
Andrew was arrested by Thames Valley Police on his 66th birthday – with unmarked cars pictured outside his home of Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate – where he has lived since his eviction from Royal Lodge in Windsor earlier this year.
A statement from Thames Valley Police read: "As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
"The man remains in police custody at this time.
"We will not be naming the arrested man, as per national guidance. Please also remember that this case is now active so care should be taken with any publication to avoid being in contempt of court."
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
"It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
"We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time."