Sara Cox auditioned for Strictly Come Dancing presenter job
Sara Cox has lifted the lid on her Strictly Come Dancing audition, which she got two days after being picked as Scott Mills' replacement on the BBC Radio 2 Breakfast Show.
Sara Cox auditioned for the hotly contested Strictly Come Dancing presenter job two days after she landed the BBC Radio 2 Breakfast Show hosting gig.
The DJ, 51, and other hopefuls lost out to Emma Willis, 50, Josh Widdicombe, 43, and Johannes Radebe, 39, who will preside over the BBC Latin and Ballroom dance competition when it returns in September, after Tess Daly, 57, and Claudia Winkleman, 54, quit last year.
Strictly Come Dancing bosses picked the trio after they invited a handful of stars, including Sara, Zoe Ball, 55, and Rylan Clark, 37, for chemistry tests last month.
Hours after Emma, Josh and Johannes were announced as the new hosts on Tuesday (19.05.26), Sara lifted the lid on the top secret audition process - which came two days after being picked for the Breakfast Show, following the sudden sacking of DJ Scott Mills, 53, in March.
The star shared on her BBC Radio 2 Teatime programme: "I tried out for Strictly. And I will say I tried out for it two days after I got offered my number one, all-time, dream job of the Radio 2 Breakfast Show.
"So I was like, 'Oh, I'll go along and try for Strictly as well, why not, and what next? News at Ten?'
"So I went along, and it was the most gorgeous experience. I got into a car that was taking me to a secret destination.
"It was all hush-hush, and it was basically a bit like, you know, when you can go and play the Crystal Maze interactive game? It was like that. I was like, 'Great, I'm going to be a Strictly presenter for an hour!'
"The whole thing was really great fun."
Sara congratulated Emma, Josh and Johannes for coming out on top in the auditions, and she is relieved that their signing was announced on Tuesday following months of speculation.
Sara added: "I'm pleased now for all the gossip, and all the WhatsApp groups can calm the heck down, going, 'Who is it?'"
In April, the broadcaster was named as the new host of BBC Radio 2's Breakfast Show, and she will move from her current 4-7pm Teatime slot to the morning 6.30am-9.30am show this summer, following the sudden sacking of Scott Mills.
Sara said in a statement: "There are not enough adjectives to really sum up how I’m feeling about being trusted with such an iconic show, but let’s start with ecstatic, honoured and incredibly chuffed.
"It’s been a dream to host the Breakfast Show since I joined Radio 2, and it feels like a bit of a full circle for me.
"I’ve had the most glorious seven years of my career on Teatime, so thank you to my brilliant Teatime listeners who hopefully will join me at Breakfast for excellent music and all my usual nonsense plus some superstar guests.
"I honestly can’t wait to wake the nation up with the biggest, most fun breakfast show ever.”
On March 30, Scott's sacking from the BBC was announced just days after he was abruptly taken off air.
It later emerged that the DJ was investigated by police over alleged sexual offences involving a boy under the age of 16 back in 2018, but the case was closed in 2019 because "the evidential threshold had not been met to bring charges".
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said in a statement to the Daily Mirror newspaper: "In December 2016, the Met began an investigation following a referral from another police force.
"The investigation related to allegations of serious sexual offences against a teenage boy. These were reported to have taken place between 1997 and 2000.
"As part of these enquiries, a man who was in his 40s at the time of the interview was questioned by police under caution in July 2018.
"A full file of evidence was submitted to the Crown Prosecution Service, who determined the evidential threshold had not been met to bring charges. Following this advice, the investigation was closed in May 2019."
It has not been confirmed if Mills' dismissal from his role at the company is linked to the previous police investigation.
The BBC said in a statement: "While we do not comment on matters relating to individuals, we can confirm Scott Mills is no longer contracted to work with the BBC."