Steve Harley dead at 73

Cockney Rebel singer Steve Harley has died at the age of 73.



Steve Harley has died
Steve Harley has died

Steve Harley has died at the age of 73.

The Cockney Rebel frontman "passed away peacefully" at his home in Suffolk on Sunday (17.03.24) morning, surrounded by his family, after battling cancer.

His daughter Greta wrote in a statement: “We know he will be desperately missed by people all over the world.

“Whoever you know him as, his heart exuded only core elements. Passion, kindness, generosity. And much more, in abundance.

"The birdsong from his woodland that he loved so much was singing for him. His home has been filled with the sounds and laughter of his four grandchildren."

The sad news comes just a few weeks after the 'Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)' hitmaker's team revealed Steve was hoping to be back on the road next year.

They shared on social media last month: “Due to on-going treatment for cancer, Steve cannot commit to any concerts in 2024.

“Steve is hoping next year will be altogether different. He appreciates all your kind words and good wishes. Team SH.”

The 'Tumbling Down' singer - who battled polio and was hospitalised as a result numerous times as a child - enjoyed success in the early 1970s as a member of Cockney Rebel.

The original line-up also included Jean-Paul Crocker, Stuart Elliott, Paul Jeffreys - who was killed with wife Rachael on the way to their honeymoon in the 1988 Lockerbie bombing - and Nick Jones.

When they disbanded, Steve enjoyed a brief stint as a solo artist before they reunited in April 1990.

From 1999 to 2008, the singer presented 'Sounds of the 70s' on BBC Radio 2 and in one of his final social media posts, Steve shared a tribute to Steve Wright following the passing of the legendary DJ.

He wrote: “The news of Steve Wright’s death has shattered me. We knew each other since the early Sixties.

“Steve managed to be both the guy down the street and a pro working on a higher plane at one and the same time. He made it all seem so easy. My loving best wishes and deepest sympathy go to his family.”

The singer had revealed in December he had been "fighting a nasty cancer" and found it "heartbreaking" having to cancel live shows.

He wrote on his website: "It's tiresome, and tiring. But the fight is on. And thankfully the cursed intruder is not affecting the voice. I sing and play most evenings."