Janette Manrara lands new job after being axed from Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two

Janette Manrara and Fleur East were dropped as hosts of Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two earlier this year as the BBC Two show's format has been revamped as a videocast hosted by Ellie Taylor.

SHARE

SHARE

Former Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two host Janette Manrara
Former Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two host Janette Manrara

Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two host Janette Manrara has announced her next job after she was axed from the BBC Two show.

The 42-year-old star had fronted the spin-off programme since 2021, originally with Rylan Clark, 37, and then Fleur East, 38, from 2023.

Fleur and Janette have been dropped as Strictly Come Dancing undergoes a big shake-up, with It Takes Two being revamped as a videocast hosted by comedienne Ellie Taylor, who did the Saturday night dance competition in 2022.

But now Janette - a professional dancer on the BBC Latin and Ballroom dance show from 2013 until 2020 - has told fans that she has landed a role in Andy Sandberg's dark comedy/drama play, Affluenza, alongside the likes of Stranger Things star Noah Schnapp, 21, Bridgerton's Rupert Young, 48, and 52-year-old Spent actress Juliet Cowan.

The production - running from September 26 until November 21 at Riverside Studios in London - follows a privileged teenager whose drunken car ride ends in devastation, exploring how wealth and privilege can influence morality, accountability and the justice system.

Taking to Instagram on Thursday (20.08.26), Janette posted her cast announcement shot, with the caption: "I can finally say that I will be joining the cast of the world premiere of AFFLUENZA at Riverside Studios in London.

"I have always loved telling stories - through dance, movement and presenting. Now, I get to tell one in a whole new way… and this one is a conversation starter.

"New chapter. New challenges. Excited for what’s to come. (sic)"

Janette's 36-year-old husband, Strictly Come Dancing pro Aljaz Skorjanec, led the congratulatory messages in the post's comments section.

He penned: "Proud doesn’t describe it! Well done Bucka."

Fleur East, who came runner-up on Strictly Come Dancing in 2022, typed: "So exciting!!! Congratulations."

Jowita Przystal, 31, one of five pros who were axed from Strictly Come Dancing, wrote: "Yaaay congratulations! Can’t wait to see you shine (sic)."

One fan reacted: "Absolutely amazing news. You will sparkle like the star you are. You have immense talent that can now be put to good use. So pleased for you xxx (sic)."

A second supporter commented: "Janette congratulations lovely lady. All the best in your new ventures."

And a third follower said: "Brilliant opportunity for you! Though we shall miss you on ITT. Good luck - onwards as ever! Xx (sic)"

In June, Janette confirmed her departure from Strictly Come Dancing: It Takes Two.

Speaking in a YouTube video, she told fans: "Strictly Come Dancing has now changed hugely. I'm no longer a part of It Takes Two or the main show.

"I'll still be involved in other ways. But that just means that I'm free to pursue and do many other projects that I've always wanted to do and never really thought about doing.

"Strictly is all I've known for the past 14 years, so it is a bit like, ‘Oh, we're going into a different world, a different space, how are we going to navigate that?’”

The TV presenter said the "big shift and change" in her life will "hit when I come back from my holiday".

Her exit announcement came after professional dancers Karen Hauer, 44, Gorka Marquez, 35, Nadiya Bychkova and Luba Mushtuk, both 36, and Michelle Tsiakkas, 30, were all axed from Strictly Come Dancing.

They have been replaced by British dancer Maddie Ingoldsby - who performed in a special one-off routine on the show with the programme's troupe 10 years ago at the age of just 11 - Ukrainian Aleksandra Isaeva and her dance partner, four-time Italian Latin Champion Cristian Priori, undefeated South African Latin champion Lethabo Monametsi, and Canada's Mark Karmalita.

Strictly Come Dancing returns on September 19 when new hosts Emma Willis, 50, Josh Widdicombe, 43, and Johannes Radebe, 39, introduce the 2026 contestants to their professional partners on the launch show.

EastEnders icon Lacey Turner, 38, Neighbours alum Delta Goodrem, 41, Love Island alums Cach Mercer, 25, and 30-year-old Dani Dyer - who withdrew last year due to an ankle injury - and 43-year-old celebrity hairstylist Chris Appleton have signed up.

Big Brother host Will Best, 41, Paralympian Dame Sarah Storey, 48, Babs actress Jaime Winstone, 41, football player-turned-pundit Shaun Wright-Phillips, 44, and House of the Dragon's Bethany Antonia, 28, are also taking to the dance floor.

Completing the line-up are dog trainer Graeme Hall, 60, Emmerdale actor Lawrence Robb, 34, Olympic skeleton gold medallist Tabby Stoecker, 25, YouTube star John Nellis, 33, and 64-year-old Gavin and Stacey star Melanie Walters.

The live competition format kicks off the following week, Saturday, September 26.

However, the first results show and elimination won't air until Sunday, October 4, and it has been confirmed that the winners of this year's Glitterball Trophy will be revealed on Saturday, December 19.