Three Married at First Sight UK stars say they suffered rape or sexual misconduct at hands of on-screen husbands

A BBC Panorama documentary has triggered a major crisis for Married at First Sight UK after multiple former contestants alleged rape and sexual misconduct during and after filming of the reality series.

SHARE

SHARE

Three Married at First Sight UK stars say they suffered rape or sexual misconduct involving their on-screen husbands during and after filming of the reality series
Three Married at First Sight UK stars say they suffered rape or sexual misconduct involving their on-screen husbands during and after filming of the reality series

Three Married at First Sight UK stars say they suffered rape or sexual misconduct involving their on-screen husbands during and after filming of the reality series.

One of the alleged victims also said she had an abortion after claiming her series partner ejaculated inside her without permission.

News broke on Monday (18.05.26) afternoon the Channel 4 reality show had been plunged into crisis after a BBC Panorama investigation featured allegations from brides who claimed they were allegedly abused while on the popular series.

It has now emerged – just before the Panorama documentary airs on BBC One on Monday (18.05.26) night at 8pm – one of the women who opens up on the show is contestant Shona Manderson, who appeared on the show in 2023.

The allegations will be detailed in The Dark Side of Married at First Sight, with the programme including accounts from former contestants who accused producers and broadcasters of failing to adequately protect vulnerable contributors during filming of the Channel 4 relationship experiment.

It has also now emerged Channel 4 has removed previous series of Married at First Sight UK from its streaming platforms, stating the decision had been made following “very serious allegations of wrongdoing” involving a small number of past contributors.

Channel 4 said the allegations are “wholly uncorroborated and disputed”.

Shona alleged her on-screen husband Bradley Skelly ejaculated inside her without permission, and, according to The Sn, will be featured on the Panorama show saying she later became pregnant and underwent an abortion after leaving the programme.

She said: “I made the choice to go through with an abortion. It was really hard.”

Shona also claimed welfare staff accompanied her to obtain the morning-after pill after the alleged incident.

According to the documentary, Shona believed relationship experts on the programme had separately identified concerns about Bradley’s allegedly controlling behaviour towards her.

Bradley denied the allegations in a statement to the BBC.

He said he categorically denied “any allegations of sexual misconduct” and denied being “controlling”.

Bradley added their relationship “was based on mutual consent, care and affection”.

Shona acknowledged she did not know whether the pregnancy resulted from the alleged incident.

The pair reportedly remained together for six weeks after filming before separating.

A second former participant, identified as Lizzie to protect her identity, alleged her on-screen husband raped her and threatened to throw acid at her.

She told the programme she “froze with fear” during the alleged attack and claimed she was left with visible fingerprint marks on her body afterwards.

Lawyers representing the man denied all allegations against him.

A third woman, identified in the programme as Chloe – also to preserve her anonymity – alleged she informed producers she had been raped before her series aired.

Chloe said she and her on-screen husband had previously engaged in consensual sex but alleged he continued during one incident after she told him to stop.

She claimed he later said: “You’re making me feel like a rapist.”

Lawyers for Chloe’s on-screen husband told the BBC he disputes details of her account.

The BBC said the Panorama investigation raised serious concerns about whether welfare procedures on the programme had failed.

Channel 4 and production company CPL Productions insisted existing welfare procedures remained “robust and comprehensive”.

Priya Dogra, chief executive of Channel 4, has now issued a longer statement responding to the allegations.

She said: “I want to express my sympathy to contributors who have clearly been distressed after taking part in Married At First Sight UK. The wellbeing of our contributors is always of paramount importance.”

Priya added: “It would be wholly inappropriate for me to comment on what are very serious allegations made against some MAFS UK contributors.

“Those allegations – which I understand are disputed by the contributors accused – are not something that Channel 4 is in a position to adjudicate on.”

Priya continued: “On the claims that Channel 4 may have failed in its duty of care, I believe that when concerns about contributor welfare were raised, and based on the information available at the time, Channel 4 acted quickly, appropriately, sensitively and with wellbeing front and centre.”

The format, which originated in Denmark before launching in the UK in 2015, has become one of Britain’s biggest reality television franchises and has expanded into more than 35 international versions, including hugely successful editions in Australia and the United States.

The programme matches strangers selected by relationship experts before they marry on first meeting, honeymoon together and later live communally while their relationships unfold on camera.