Eddie Hearn denies responsibility for Fury v Joshua collapse

Eddie Hearn has rubbished claims that he was responsible for talks between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua breaking down last year.

SHARE

SHARE

Eddie Hearn is refusing to take the blame for the collapse of Fury v Joshua
Eddie Hearn is refusing to take the blame for the collapse of Fury v Joshua

Eddie Hearn had nothing to do with the collapse of Anthony Joshua's fight with Tyson Fury.

The two British heavyweights had been due to clash in December for the WBC world title but the promoter has rejected accusations that he was responsible for negotiations collapsing.

He told talkSPORT: "Tyson Fury is good or has been good at convincing people of certain things, and during those negotiations, he convinced people that it was mine or AJ’s fault.

“For the record, I don’t think AJ should’ve boxed [Fury] in December. Irrelevant. He told me, ‘Take the fight. 60-40 [purse split], we take the fight.'

“After Tyson Fury drew with Deontay Wilder the first time out, he wasn’t world champion, he should’ve won that night but he wasn’t world champion.

“We offered Tyson Fury 60-40 for the fight, champion against challenger. He turned it down. He said, ‘I want 50-50, as a challenger’. We said, ‘No’.

Hearn added: “This time around, AJ is the challenger, he accepted 60-40. Ego got involved. All of a sudden, we were getting demands and pressures, everyday deadlines on social media… It fell through."

The promoter suggested that Joshua would be ready to clash with the Gypsy King if the opportunity arose as it could provide him with a route to being world champion again.

Hearn said: “He would sign to fight Tyson Fury now for the same terms we agreed to in November. 60-40, etc, etc. So, when you say, ‘Will it happen?’ Like, I just don’t know."